In the interest of solidifying Cornelius' appearance and keeping him more on-model, I have smacked together this thing here and squandered my Sunday.
-- Re-posted from his previous ref:
A few random FAQs while Iíve got your ear.
- I canít stress it enough: that big monster thing IS Cornelius, his human form is recessive meaning he has to force himself to take the shape and itís a continuous effort to hold it. Things like illness, lack of sleep, exceptional stress, pain, and shock all threaten his grip on the shape. Sleeping returns him to his natural amphibianesque form.
- How does he shift? Mentally, he relaxes to lapse back into a glatni, he tenses up to force himself into human form. Physically, his transformations are rapid and smooth taking four or five seconds either way and there are no sparkly lights or mists or anything; you can see him, albeit quickly, growing/shrinking, losing/gaining color, etc. It's not painful (in fact reverting to glatni form feels about as heavenly as sinking into on a soft bed after a long day) though it is disorienting.
- His eyes suck above water. He can see decently about as far as he can reach, anything past his tail is quite blurry. By Network law heís legally blind.
- The glatni mutation (or curse/disease/take your pick; itís a virus with supernatural undertones) is passed only though injecting a victim with liquid packed full of the Lubii noxius virus (in Cornelius' case his glatni form has a pair of hollow fangs for this purpose). If he were to bite somebody, which he would never do, it'd be extremely unlikely they'd become glatni themselves, rather they would have the fever from hell as they melted down into a brainless lubii creature, more typical host of the virus. UNPLEASANT. Cornelius is just extremely lucky to have had a genetic code that stumped the virus and left him in this state.
- My little sister always wants to know whatíd happen, hypothetically Iím sure, if he were to infect his sister Penny. I donít know if her genes would be close enough to Corneliusí that she'd end up glatni as well. Thereís really only one way to find out and itís never going to happen. (:
-He was originally bit on the left ankle and has an interesting mark there, like puncture wounds with clear, watery, glatni-looking skin immediately surrounding them that never shifts away.
- It's pronounced "g'lat-nye," and the spelling has been recently changed to 'glatni' from 'galatini', so if you see that word anywhere ignore it. I'm getting around to changing it wherever I can.
- Heís not slimy. He doesnít ooze. He looks shiny because his skin is glossy, not because heís perennially wet or anything.
- He doesnít have issues with drying out when glatni, no more than a human would. He is more susceptible to the cold, though, and prefers high humidity and warmth when he can get it. Heís not exactly ectothermic (cold-blooded) but he doesnít produce much heat either.
- How and/or can he breathe underwater? Yep, he's got gills. They're along his neck and only open under water, he can't open them of his own volition. Out of water they flatten down nearly flush with his skin and within half a minute that waxy, clear outer layer of skin has sealed seamlessly over them. (Gills dry out quickly in air and this protects them.) He can also hold his breath for around seven minutes.
Reposted from an answer to ~SilverGryphon8:
Q: Glatni mutation- why does it turn him into a big fishy lizard dude instead of a... lubii creature? How are the two creatures related? A: There's the Lubii noxius virus. It's a symbiote with lubii creatures, they infect other animals which the virus turns into lubii, repeat. In highly rare cases a victim's genome will have coding the virus cannot work with, in the confusion it makes a second set of DNA for its host instead of blanking the original.
This second set of coding is weird: it's a hodgepodge of bits of all the previous hosts' genes in one, stored automatically by the virus for countless generations. (This means every glatni produced by a different lubii would look drastically different.) The older 'memories' of stolen genes eventually do fade, by the way, the most recent appearing more strongly than older ones. The lubii that got Cornelius had been living in an estuary, lord knows what animal it was before, but there are, you may have guessed already, many fish, newts, salamanders, and several kinds of porpoise in Cornelius' virus' recent history. And of course, the most recent addition to the mix would be himself, hence his numerous human traits (thumbs, four limbs, a voice, etc.)
Lubii= horrible liquefied excuse for a life form Glatni= the expression of generations of stored DNA mashed together (with the ability to temporarily express the host's previous shape as it never was destroyed, only masked)
PS. Since the vast majority of lubii victims are animals then itís very possible to have, where Cornelius is a human with glatnism, a snake or carp or moose or who knows what with glatnism, and odds are thereís probably one or two out there now. If an ecosystem is rife with lubii then you can bet itís a godawful place for researchers to tromp out into so there's never been an honest study into glatnism in the wild, so whether an infected animal might learn to use its new abilities to its advantage or whether they fail to adapt and perish is unknown. Reports of strange, unidentifiable swamp or ocean animals in known lubii territory have sometimes been chalked up to glatni.
I like how he is sitting on his tail in the last sketch. Might not be too comfy though.
is the virus transmitted by reproduction? what sort of offspring might he have and would it make any difference whether he was making himself human at the time? or is that just a no-go once you have glatni?
Hee, yes, looks pretty painful. Not sure what I was thinking at the time. XD We do not sit our 700 pound self on the lower extension of our vertebral column. Tisk.
Aaaand, it's complicated. Basically, no, those with glatnism can't have kids. Genes are too messed up. There is a fear that if you did manage to conceive, at best you'd have an aborted fetus-thing, at worst the zygote would start producing the virus and horribly kill the mother.
Interesting thought, though, on which form was being used at the time. Funnily enough, glatni in monster form have no reproductive bits, because they are biological servants to their virus, which is only interested in its own reproduction.
Obligatory delurking ramble- First, let me say that your character design is so freaking cool and I love it. Most artists I'm familiar with can either design human characters, nonhuman characters or neither- you manage to do humans, nonhumans and some that are both and have a fluid transition of identity, more or less interrupted depending on their personality.
He has such a good balance of realism, expressiveness, prettiness, awkwardness and all of it well thought out, I could just zone out in your gallery for a month.
I don't think cartoon physics need to come into his ambipedality, particularly if you made his arms just a little more slender. He seems to have a sort of muscular fish / snake / whale body meant for undulating up and down, which is probably quite adaptable to standing upright. I am a little confused on the picture how his shoulders rolling back works with his skeletal and muscular systems there, however? Maybe I'm just confusing myself...
Other than sight, how are his senses? (DOES HE HAVE LATERAL LINES) Is his human form entirely identical to how it was before, or do traits (i.e. somewhat worse eyesight) carry over, and does this change as he begins to identify more with his big monstery self? How sharp are his claw-nails?
You are too kind, thank you for such high praise. <3
I agree with the oddness of that ambiguous shoulder. You know, what I should do is keep his arms human at all times, after all, we can walk on our hands just fine.
No lateral lines! Though I did strongly consider them. So many points to you for knowing what those are. His hearing is comparable to humans' but clearer under water, touch is dulled slightly by his thicker skin, and taste and smell have been modified somewhat so that fish, even raw, tastes and smells like a dream, while red meat and dairy gross him out (surprise surprise, they make his monsterself sick).
The only thing that's physically changed in his human shape is some blue, bruised scar tissue 'round the old infection site. You have to promise never, ever to tell him this, but I may be planning for the slow breakdown of his human form late in his life. He may look less human and more monstrous until his body's 'forgotten' his human shape entirely. Then again, I may not be so cruel.
I should do a detail of his nails sometime. They're quite blunt and seem to mix seamlessly with his skin color as they're largely covered with a waxy cuticle of sorts, something like the topcoat to his skin. Of course the undersides and very tips are exposed keratin, or they'd be worn that way very quickly.
"Even raw"- how dare you deny the amazingness of sushi, good artist! XD What does he think about plant matter? Is it generally also indigestible? Does he have a new prediliction for seaweed? Is there a place, actually, in the Network that he could go to get sushi with Penny (if she's not a vegetarian)?
Hm, but later in his life hardly seems cruel enough. That'd be when he'd be most equipped to deal with it in a logical fashion.
Oh nooooo, I love me some sushi! I'm talkin' raw, like stinking, still-in-the-scales, just-out-of-the-bucket, flopping fishies. He has some killer sardine breath if he forgets to brush after a meal.
I think he can eat most of his fruits n' veggies still. I'm debating whether or not his system can handle grains very well, I suspect they're gonna be a problem. He does have a taste for seaweed, but then again, he did before. :3
Penny and Cornelius are from a very big, very wet island nation, kind of like if Hawaii was the size of Australia, sans the giant desert in the middle. It is itself probably The Best Place in the Network for sushi. Penny keeps trying the vegetarian thing and relapsing. Coming from a seaside culture I'm thinking she'll never quite be able to give up seafood.
Guess what guys! I'm
reopening my stores
(Etsy and Storenvy)
and commissions, I
can finally announce
that I'm getting
married and I need
to save as much as
possible for the big
day, July 27th.
before anyone asks,
the wedding is not
been planning it for
a long time...
away time is back
:D! This time I've
got 1500pts to give
away c:The last
giveaway was really
well received so I'm
doing another! After
the way the last one
panned out, one
thing I would like
to remind you guys
of is to PLEASE
PLEASE follow the
guidelines so you
can be properly...
mmkay like 2
people asked me this
after I held my
giveaway T U T im
sorry I didn't give
you a direct and
easy to understand
answer but... I hope
this will be better
than the answer i
gave you two XD I
wont note you back
but i hope you will
see the journal ; A
;I've also had
Welcome to APRIL
you for being here
whether you are a
Member yet or not!We
welcome you and your
continue to grow
each month, with
artists of a variety
of art media!We are
nearly at 4,000
`anmari has been spreading her infectious positivity throughout our community for over 6 years. Throughout this time Ana has been at the core of all things devious, passionately developing an eclectic gallery, helping organise devmeets, participating in chat events and also recently completed dedicating her time as a Community Volunteer. We are absolutely delighted to bestow the Deviousness Award for May 2013 to `anmari, congratulations! Read More